Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Did You Hear The Waves Crash On Our Wedding Day

I figured for my first post I'd tell you the story of how I met my husband Scott and how we got married in July.

It all started in Oct 2008, when my sister invited me to a Halloween party at her house.  Dressed as a pirate I was ready for an adventurous evening.  Little did I know I'd meet my 'prince', or should I say 'mechanic' as that was Scott's costume.  Long story short, we spent the whole night talking and hit it off.  However, due to phone issues and his crazy work schedule, I didn't hear from Scott until three weeks later.  And when I did, I was anxious to see him again.  Our first date was average to say the least, but our second date, or as we refer to it "The Epic Date", sealed the deal for me.  We spent over 12 hours together and by the end I knew I didn't want to let him get away.  He was funny, interesting and just genuinely a great person.  I quickly realized that he was the type of man I'd been looking for; one who could take charge of a situation and never back down from a challenge.  He works hard and embodies strong characteristics, like loyalty, integrity, and ambition.  A real lust for life so to speak.

Time flew by quickly.  In that time we got down to discussing the "Big" questions, as we both didn't want to waste time with one another if we didn't agree on the big 3: Kids, Money, Lifestyle.  We had both been married before, and now knew exactly what we wanted in a partner and a relationship.  I was elated to find out that Scott agreed with me about living the good life in a little house, in a good neighbourhood, without kids.  We both want to travel and focus our energies on our careers and with one another, and not be distracted by children.  I had figured if I really wanted them I would have that burning desire you should have when you have children.  It wasn't in me.  Scott agreed that although it's nice to see kids from time to time, we didn't need any of our own.

It didn't take long before we got engaged, Spring of 2011 in Sechelt BC.  And from our previous experiences with weddings we both knew we did not want the large family wedding, where most time the 'wants' of the couple gets pushed aside by the 'wants' of the families.  We elected to have a dream destination adult only wedding, inviting our friends and family to come along with us.  After careful deliberation we chose a beach wedding in Jamaica as the perfect place to tie the knot.  However, majority of our friends or family members were unable to make a commitment to attend for various understandable reasons, so we had to cancel that version.

Both Scott and I were extremely disappointed, but we got over it and decided to elope.  Not being overly keen on getting married completely alone, we opted to do it our way, and invited six of our closest friends to help celebrate our special day with us in Halfmoon Bay BC, at the Rockwater Secretcove Resort.


I can still hear the waves crashing on the shore below from our tent -house suite deck, where Scott and I exchanged personal vows to one another.  The intimate ceremony was magical as I felt truly blessed to have our friends surround us with their love and support for Scott and I.  We actually pulled off a breathtaking, stress free wedding, with no family drama.  We had our destination dream wedding, just a bit different than we expected.  Isn't that always the way in life?  It never really is what you expect, but the reality sometimes surpasses the dream.

Tell me about your wedding experience.  Would you do it again the same way or try something different?

No comments:

Post a Comment