Sunday, January 3, 2016

Strength

Strength! It's my word for 2016. Most would interrupt the word as in the physical sense that I'm strengthening my physical body.  Lots of truth in that, but I'm stretching tit o mean my mind, and my relationships. I'd say in the last six months or so I have let my body go and some of my friendships. I have turned inward for too long and now I feel stagnated.  As an introvert this can happen as it more comfortable to draw inward than extend ourselves in social situations.  And in doing so I have lost contact with women who fulfill me.  It's one thing to see them in larger group settings but another in same gender settings or even one on one.

It took for a friend of mine to go through a divorce to make me realize I had been neglecting our friendship. Over the Winter holidays I went to visit her in her new place and she mentioned that her divorce made her see who her real friends are. I made the cut, but I felt I could have spent more time with her. Her comment also made me think about how many weak ties I have with some people who mean quite a bit to me.  In 2016 I want to strengthen bonds with a core group of women than spread myself thin with multitudes of friends. Stronger is better.

Other relationships I want to strengthen are with my nieces and my parents on both sides.  I feel I don't spend enough time with them.  My nieces it's tough as they live in a different province, but technology can help with that.  And I want to see my parents and in-laws, who all live close by, more often. Who knows when their circumstances might change.

My other focus is my physical strength.  For years I have been caught in the never ending losing weight gaining weight cycle.  So concerned about the size of my stomach or thighs that I never realized the physical strength and beauty of my body.  And since I have sciatica it makes it nearly impossible to lift weights, but I have learned that yoga can be my strengthening tool for both my body and mind. I'm excited to challenge myself with some new classes and instructors, and keep the ones who serve me best to help me take my practise to a new level.

Here's to a strong 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment