Monday, November 10, 2014

Parent Sanctuary

Do you have a place you can go and just let go?  A place you can find some solitude or have an uninterrupted thought?  Maybe you have a place you can retreat to to enjoy a warm meal and glass of wine without having to tend to wee ones?  Well my parent- friends can found that place at my house.

After the birth of their first baby one of our friends mentioned to my husband how great it was to hang out at our place with no crying baby or children decor.  Those are things we take for granted as we don't have them.  After a classic childfree evening with the same group of friends our home became known as"the parent sanctuary."  I thought it was cute.  And the more I pondered this idea of my house being a parent refuge, a place parents can hide- out and recharge their weary selves, the more I felt good about it.  As much as parents love their children they need a break from time to time.  Just as I love my dog there are times when its nice not having the furry guy around.  It's time for just me.  For many years, Scott and I struggled or felt guilty for wanting to throw adult -only parties. People seemed offended that we wouldn't invite their offspring to our house, but as time went by I got over feeling badly about it.  I realized there are plenty of times we go to parties where there are kids, so why do our gatherings need to include children, when we don't have them ourselves? Our house isn't equipped for tiny humans, and even if it was, there are times when adults need to let lose, which can be hard when babies and toddlers are watching your every action and word.  So now most of our invites are adult -only simply because it is easier for us and with the nick-name Parent Sanctuary it is easier to suggest a childfree evening.  Because let's face it everyone deserves a break from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment