Saturday, March 8, 2014

Leave Brookswood Alone!!!!

In the past week things in my life have turned upside down.  I was given information about how my community and the way I live my daily life could be destroyed all due to 10 landowners in my area.  I have attended a couple hearings and even gave a speech Wednesday night expressing my concern.  For those of you who were not in attendance here is what I said that night.

Mayor, Council Members and fellow Brookswood Families, my name is Margo Freeman and I live at 19721 41A Ave, right off the proposed expansion of 40th Ave and 196th street.
I'm here tonight to ask to you to vote NO to the proposed Community Plan.  My husband and I moved here five year ago from the over-populated, concrete slab, called Willoughby.  We were sick of the noise pollution, heavy traffic and lack of green space.  We left this hustle and bustle way of life to seek a quieter location, filled with clean air, and nature on our door step.  We thought we’d have to move to a rural town up North, but we were soon elated not only to find Brookswood but also our parcel of land.  Who could dream of a street where you can consider your neighbours your friends, where ancient cedars line the streets and shade your house from the beating sun? Where you can watch bald eagles soar overhead, and observe birds nesting in the trees?  We couldn’t believe we had found a street that is so nestled in that you feel secluded from the rest of the world and you can walk mere steps into a lush forest rich with wildlife and trails.  We had found paradise, and anyone who visits remarks on how lucky we are to live here.
I thought we’d plant deep roots of our own beside the firs and walnut trees in our yard.  We planned on building a life for decades here.  Why would we want to leave?  Every day when I leave the concrete jungle of Langley City and cross over the boundary into Brookwood it is like there is an audible sigh and relief and I have entered a small town.  I love that.

On 196th street and 40th it is quiet.  Children play in the street and their laughter lingers in the air.  There isn’t that constant truck and car noise pollution that would be there instead if this proposal goes through.  There won’t be children playing on a major road way.  Only noise.  I didn’t move to this street to live in a concrete world full of noise and dangerous drivers.  I don’t think any of my neighbours did either, especially the ones on 196th and 40th.  We enjoy having our space and privacy.  We thrive on the notion our street is safe.  If these plans go through we live next to a dangerous road with easy access for all sorts of people who may want to rob and harm us. 
We did not plan to raise families and build legacies mirrored off of 200th and 72nd.  If this plan goes ahead, everything we strive to protect, strive to maintain will be lost.  Our sense of community and our way of life will cease to exist.  You will destroy and devastate so many lives here.  Not to mention the environmental impact.  No more birds, no more rabbits, no more deer.  All gone.

Please Vote NO

If you feel the same way speak up and attend the Brookswood 

Rally on March 22nd at the Brookswood Water park at noon!!! 

 Don't Keep Calm, Keep Fighting On Brookswood!

No comments:

Post a Comment