Sunday, April 21, 2013

Just a Couple of D.I.N.KS in Cuba

With sand still surfacing around our house from our trip this spring break to Cuba, I am reminded of a time of no stress and worry.  It seemed as though as soon as our plane landed back in Vancouver the worries I was able to leave behind for an entire week resurfaced to play havoc once again.  So on this very rainy Sunday afternoon I'm trying to transform my mind and shift back to the best vacation a couple of D.I.N.KS could have....

We left a torrent of rain behind on the evening of March 20th and we were strolling down the picturesque beach of Cayo Santa Maria by late afternoon the next day.  It seemed that as soon as we stepped foot out of our runners and into flip flops the worries of our everyday lives drifted away on the Caribbean breeze.  Scott and I hadn't been on a  "real" vacation to a hot destination in over three years, and the last time we were both very sick.  So with zest and zeal we took our Cuban resort by storm and created a fantastic child


free vacation (well as childfree as we could, since there were kids at the resort).  But somehow we were able to avoid the noisy, screaming throngs for most of our stay.

We spent hours at the white, powder beach soaking up the sun and fresh sea air, and the sound of the crashing waves overpowered any disturbances that might befall us.  During our first encounter in the azure ocean I swiftly learned that the waves are powerful and will knock you head over heels if one is not careful.  But with some time I mastered wave jumping.  Snorkeling was another activity that both Scott and I love to partake in.  We tried some at our beach, but the best coral reefs were found in the middle of the ocean on our catamaran excursion.  We swam through multiple schools of fish, and Scott was poked by a grouper who felt he as getting in his way, I suppose.  Other times you'd find us by the quiet poolside, as our pool seemed to be occupied by more adults.  

The evenings were when we ate late, as to avoid any rush, and then saunter over to the theatre bar and sidle up on to stools as though we were on a date.  Sipping wine or champagne, while we watched the entertainment from afar, as we rehashed the day's events, were the best times.  And to top it off, every night, we'd sneak a bottle of wine down onto the beach and snuggle up on to a white beach chair to watch the waves roll in.  It was so romantic.  One night we walked by another couple in their late 60's doing the same and I thought to myself "one day that will be us."

Besides just spending quality time with Scott, it was the fact we had no schedule or responsibilities.  We ate when hungry, slept when tired and did as we pleased.  What we didn't realize was how truly lucky we are to be childfree, especially on vacation.  Naturally, most of our daily lives we take for granted that we don't have children to mind.  On vacation we had a bit of a wake up call, as we had front row seats a few times to witness how much time and effort children are, especially if they are really young and need you for everything.  I can't imagine how frustrating it would be, if you were actually relaxing, then to have to get up and tend to the need of a three year old.  We met one couple who had their 10 year old daughter with them and you could tell how annoyed they were that every 10 minutes she was badgering them to play with her in the pool, when all they wanted to do was relax and read for a bit.  It almost made me feel guilty that I didn't have to worry about that.  My only concern was did I have enough sun screen on, and from my burn it was evident that I wasn't as concerned as I should have been. :)

Now back in reality I find myself trying to conjure the memory of the scent and sound of that breathtaking ocean, and in that memory realize how truly blessed we are to be able to vacation somewhere so beautiful.  We really do have a charmed life as D.I.N.KS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment